American Alligator

American Alligator

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Interning with Alligators

Interning with Alligators
By Hunter Byrd

On May 26, 2013, I left my job at a local restaurant to pursue my lifelong dream - working with alligators.  With the hopes of combining my passions of wildlife and nature documentaries, I studied Environmental Science and Digital Filmmaking.  As a recent college graduate, it was a risk. However, passions have a way of producing opportunities.  

Photo by Josh Pierce

I received an internship at Gator Country, an alligator sanctuary in Beaumont, Texas, that taught me quite a bit about my passions in many ways.  The trip down to the sanctuary was roughly seven hours.  It could have been shorter, but I managed to get lost on a detoured path, which is typical of my first trips. 

When I arrived, I walked in and introduced myself to the cashier and was given a short tour by one of the volunteers.  Within twenty minutes of my arrival, I was jumping on the back of a 6-7 foot alligator.  Now that's what I called a REAL hands-on learning experience!  The sanctuary is owned and run by Gary and Jana Saurage from the show Gator 911 that first aired on CMT in April 2010.


I was one of three interns chosen from across the United States to work at Gator Country.  For the next three months, Jarod, Josh, and I helped run this sanctuary with over 200 alligators and a variety of other animals every day.  It sounds like a lot of work, and it was, but looking back that was one of the best learning experiences I have ever had.  


Photo by Gary Saurage and Gator Country
Myself, Jarod, and Josh after our first nuisance call.

I met Jarod first as Josh was gone helping with a show in a nearby town.  Jarod had studied Zoology back in Indiana and like myself, had a love for all things reptilian, in particular, crocodilians.  His dream is to run a park/sanctuary like the one we were working at promoting croc conservation and education.  He also is a HUGE Spider-Man fanatic, which I thought was pretty cool.

A few days later, I met Josh.  Like Jarod, he is tall and skinny, but he wore a leather outback hat all the time and was a little bit more outgoing and talkative.  He was from Minnesota, but studied Zoology at North Dakota State University.  Together we stayed in a small shack on the premises and became exceptionally close friends and roommates.  Good roommates away from home and getting paid to work with alligators, I thought I was in heaven!


The Job:

Our duties working at the sanctuary consisted of giving hour long presentations on alligators, crocodiles, and snakes; feeding demonstrations; cleaning and designing enclosures; animal husbandry; and park maintenance and landscaping.  Some days, we would perform shows at festivals or birthday parties, offering the public a chance to learn about reptiles outside of the park.  Occasionally, someone would call the sanctuary requesting a wild alligator be removed from their property.

Photo by Gary Saurage and Gator Country
Josh, myself, and Jarod holding a 10'3" A. mississippiensis

In southeastern Texas, there is a large population of American alligators Alligator mississippiensis.  The region is flat with many canals used for irrigation and neighboring wetlands.  This allows the gators to travel throughout the area and venture into areas where they are not particularly wanted.  These places are typically family ponds and camping areas where the animals have become accustomed to being fed and could pose a threat to pets, livestock, and people hanging around the water's edge. 


American alligators are not considered quite as aggressive when compared to large crocodile species.  I've had one crocodile researcher tell me personally that alligators are like kittens while crocodiles are more like leopards.  Having been bit by both before, I can promise you neither one feels good.  And yes, each time was my fault and they both actually occurred the same week.  You better believe I made sure to stay away from our 13 foot alligator those seven days!


Photo by Emma Eichner:  Big Al and myself.
   
Getting bit by both an alligator and a crocodile, I realized that though they both hurt like heck, there was a difference in the animals' reactivity.  When the alligator got me, I saw it coming from a sideways motion.  I was checking on one of our smaller gators that we housed separately in a small plastic pond to ensure it was feeding.  Tapping the water with a short stick, the alligator popped up in front of where I was sitting.  The stick just barely grazed it's head and immediately the animal jumped the stick and nailed my right hand.  This animal also had developed a strong feeding response that I believe was part of the reason for the bite.


The crocodile however was a little different.  Used to, this individual crocodile, named Mo, was calm tempered and a great presentation animal until we moved him into a larger enclosure and he gained just a few extra pounds.  After that, he said "Nope I'm done with this." and started acting just like a crocodile should.  I was trying to secure him for a presentation, but he was just not into it and moved into a corner which made lifting him up a gamble.  You had to hold him firmly, otherwise he would snap at your face or try to jump out of your arms and could possibly injure himself on the floor.  I was using my hand as a distraction (Mistake!), but before I could blink (and I do mean blink!) he launched himself forward into the air and latched onto my right hand.  It was literally the fastest response I've ever seen an animal make.  It was lightning fast and gave me a whole new respect for working with crocodilians and to never ever underestimate them.  Even if you have worked with an animal for years and have picked it up a 100 times, you should never think it is incapable of hurting you.  All it takes is that 101st time and you might regret it forever.  (Especially people who free-handle venomous snakes, but more on that later.)  After those incidences, I'm thankful to still have all my fingers!        

Photo by Kerstin Reige: Mo and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment